Thursday, May 28, 2015

Book Review ~ Love Always, Kate (Love Always #1) by D. Nichole King



Love Always, Kate
(Love Always #1)
by D. Nichole King


Dear Diary, 
Leukemia’s been my life since I was eleven. Now, six years later, I want my life back. Only I’m not sure what that is.

The test results came back today. 22,000. Which means I’m officially out of remission—again.

I have three options:
1. Another round of chemo.
2. A super-new experimental drug.
3. Dump it all— forget the meds and treatments and enjoy the time I have left.

I think I know what I want.

Then, in walks Damian, changing everything.

I mean, everything. 

He’s got his own set of issues. It binds us together, you know? We understand what it’s like to lose what matters most in seconds. 

Still, the last thing I need is to have someone else to crush if I can’t fight hard enough. And the last thing he needs is someone else to grieve.

Never mind. I’m down to two options now.

Somehow I know that whichever one I choose, the result will be the same. With the sand in my hourglass seeping to the bottom, I hope there’s enough left to show Damian that life’s worth living. Worth fighting for.

Worth dying for.

Love Always,
Kate
 

Click HERE to add to Goodreads



"Pain, even though it hurt, made us stronger - if it didn't destroy us first."

Generally as a self-imposed rule, I try to stay away from stories that deal with cancer or anything that I know will make me sad, but I had heard nothing but good things about this book, so I thought, what the heck....let's do this.  So I did and let me tell you I was not prepared in the least for what I was about to dive into.  

Let me begin by telling you that I really struggled with this book.  Struggled to put it down.  Struggled to keep the tears contained.  Struggled with the fear that it would end too soon.  Every single thing about this novel was absolutely amazing!   This was perhaps the most beautiful and heart-wrenching story I have read in a long time.  The characters have depth and real life emotions and I could not help but love them.  I felt their pain, their suffering and their love.  Kate and Damian's story will linger with me for quite some time and it is one that I will never forget.

D. Nichole King has an amazing talent and I can't believe I have not read anything by her up until this point.  Her writing style flows so smoothly, so effortlessly, and so perfectly.  Tissues are not optional when reading this gut-wrenching story - they are mandatory.  This is a must read that I would highly recommend to just about anyone.  So pick up a copy of this book, grab the mandatory tissues, find a comfy chair and begin the journey of one of the most beautiful and tragic love stories you will ever come across.

"Being strong means allowing yourself to cry over the things you can't change; laugh when things are funny; smile when you're happy.  It means understanding where your breaking point is, and yet, going further and still remaining whole."
 5 stars for this one, but really it deserves more.....so many more!



Hey! Thanks for stopping by!

Since I was born and raised in Iowa, I like to create stories where my home state is the setting. There's nothing like small-town Midwest scenery to create the perfect backdrop for an amazing tale!

I've always loved to read and write. I'll read anything: Classics, fantasy, contemporary, mystery, horror. It doesn't matter as long as it draws me in. As a kid, I was raised on authors such as Lurlene McDaniel, R.L. Stine, Danielle Steele, Mary Higgins Clark, Stephen King, and Shakespeare.

Writing-wise, my fondness lies in the YA/NA genre, though I do have a couple of women's fiction stories swimming around in my head. 

When not writing, I'm usually curled up with a book, scrapbooking, or doing yet another load of laundry.

Along with my incredible husband, I live in small-town Iowa with my four adorable (yet ornery) children and our dog, Peaches.







No comments:

Post a Comment